A K3 visa is a temporary family visa that allows spouses of US citizens to come to the US to live with their spouse while waiting for their visa number (I-130) to become available.

Spouses of US citizens who are beginning the immigration process are not required to obtain a K3 visa, however this process may be faster and permit the spouse to enter the US sooner than waiting for their I-130 alone.

A K3 visa is only available to  spouses of US citizens who live outside the US

K3 Visa Requirements

To qualify for a K3 visa, the applicant must be living outside of the US, be married to a US citizen and have taken the first step in the immigration process by applying for a visa number (I-130).

K3 visa applicants may also be required to meet certain health and character requirements.

K3 Visa Entitlements

A K3 visa provides the holder with the opportunity of reuniting with their spouses in the US while waiting for their Green Card application to be processed. K3 visa holders may undertake employment in the US with an approved employment authorization.

Unmarried children under 21 years of age may apply for the applicable derivative visa (K4 visa) to accompany their parent to the US and wait for their Green Card application to be processed in the US.